Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tiger Woods on Putting, Practice and Kids

TIGER WOODS WILL RESUME his tumultuous (and winless) season on Thursday when the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational tees off at Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio. Tiger spoke on a range of subjects in today’s media conference, including the state of his game, the Ryder Cup, the one time he shot 59, and, of particular interest to me, his putting woes.

Following are excerpts concerning his putting and related issues.
Q. What’s your sense on what’s plagued your putt?
TIGER WOODS: Speed. My speed has been off all year. I’ve three-putted quite a few times, which I don’t do normally. Just had to go back to basics and practice a little bit more. I haven’t worked on my putting probably as much as I should have, probably the last couple years actually, so had to go back to that.

(Photo: Tiger hopes to break out of the worst putting slump of his career / Keith Allison, Flickr)


Q. I’d like to follow up on the putting question. Have your putting problems filtered at all into the rest of your game? Sometimes guys, when they’re not putting well press, they try to hit it closer or whatever. I’m just wondering if you’ve noticed that happen to you at all or think back if it has. And also, where are you, on which putter? Have you been experimenting?
TIGER WOODS: As far as pressing, no, I play the game for what it gives me on a particular day. Ironically I said to you guys at the British Open this is the best I’ve driven it in years and this is the worst I’ve ever putted. What a game. But as far as my putter, I’ve gone back to my old one. I know all the numbers show that the Method putter does roll the ball better, technology, just does. But I went back to something that I’m familiar with and had good results with.

Q. When did you stop practicing as much putting?

TIGER WOODS: I haven’t had time. I haven’t had as much time to practice overall with the kids. Life has changed.

Q. You kind of made it sound as though whatever your practice session is, you’re devoting more to the full swing.
TIGER WOODS: No, I haven’t practiced as much as I used to, nor should I. My kids are more important.
Tiger will be paired with Lee Westwood in the first two rounds, and said he looks forward to it. “I’ve always enjoyed playing with Westy. He’s a great guy.”

I don’t expect a win from Tiger this week. I realize his record at Firestone is phenomenal. I just don’t sense that his game and head are there yet.

−The Armchair Golfer

(All quotes courtesy of ASAP Sports)

No comments:

Post a Comment