Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rory McIlroy Wants Tiger Joust at Ryder Cup

Editor’s note: Brian Keogh is a golf correspondent for The Irish Sun and a regular contributor to The Irish Times, Golf Digest Ireland and other golf publications. The following piece is excerpted from his blog, Irish Golf Desk. 

By Brian Keogh
Special to ARMCHAIR GOLF


RORY MCILROY WOULD LOVE a singles showdown with Tiger Woods in October’s Ryder Cup. Recovered from his US PGA disappointment, McIlroy said: “I’m sure we’ll probably see him in Wales. I would love to face him. Unless his game rapidly improves … I think anyone in the European team would fancy their chances against him.

“There are a lot of American players playing better than him at the minute but it’s always an advantage to have Tiger Woods in your team.”

US skipper Corey Pavin hinted Monday that he would be handing Woods one of his four wildcards on September 7.

McIlroy said: “I think he’ll [Pavin] pick him. I don’t think it would go down too well in the States if he wasn’t picked.”

When asked about the pros and cons of picking Woods, Pavin said: “Well, he’s the No. 1 player in the world. Obviously I’m considering him highly, no doubt about it. He’s playing better. I think we have all seen that and he wants to play, he wants to be a part of the team. But it’s going to be my judgment whether I pick him or not. I don’t think there’s any cons.”

Padraig Harrington will need a Ryder Cup wildcard and Pavin knows that Colin Montgomerie also faces some tough wildcard choices.

Referring to his dilemma over Woods when asked about Harrington, Pavin said: “I guess you can flip that question around to someone on our side, too. Golf is a funny game. The game goes away, comes back; it waffles.

“I think Pádraig is a great player. The guy’s won three major championships. He would be a very good pick, but I don’t pick for that side. So it’s a tough choice for him.”

Brian Keogh covers golf for The Irish Sun and contributes to a variety of golf publications. Pay him a visit at Irish Golf Desk.

(Image: Chase McAlpine/Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment