Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hank and Rush

AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT, I watched the premiere episode (a repeat) of The Haney Project Rush Limbaugh. It was my first look at the new season. To my surprise, I got a small bang out of it.

A digression: I said against my better judgment because The Haney Project is not my brand of cereal. Nothing against Hank. I just don’t go in for that type of golf programming. I mostly stick to tournament coverage. I did watch a few of the Charles Barkley episodes. Charles is so unfiltered and the most bizarre ex-basketball golfer who ever lived. I passed on Ray Romano.

Hank and Rush were not appointment TV. It came on after Friday’s coverage of the Farmers Insurance Open and I didn’t change the channel. (The Haney Project Rush Limbaugh airs on Golf Channel on Tuesdays at 9pm ET.)

The first episode could be summed up this way: Rush has zero confidence in his golf abilities. He is also suspicious of instructors. Nothing has ever worked for him. He is clueless and freely admits it.

Rush is said to be an 18 handicap. His golf pals, one of which is former Kansas City Royals baseball star George Brett, thinks Rush has it in him to be a 9 or 10. This is what friends are for—to see your potential or to be totally delusional. It’s a very fine line. If Rush is an 18, then I’m a scratch golfer.

But I agreed with Hank’s diagnosis of Rush the golfer. Rush has something to work with. His swing wasn’t bad. In Rush’s words, he was striping it on the range. (Don’t we all?) I could see him as a legit 18 in short order. From there, who knows?

By the way, Brett, who bats left, has a sweet golf swing. Don’t play him for money.

Hank thinks he can fix Rush. He wants to work on Limbaugh’s head. Good luck with that. I’m telling you, there’s not a positive golf thought in there. Not one. Godspeed, Hank.

During the episode, Rush said golf is the only thing about which he thinks everybody knows more than he does.

Thank you, Golf. My love for you is reaffirmed.

−The Armchair Golfer

No comments:

Post a Comment