Monday, June 14, 2010

Kind of Blue: This One’s for You, Robert Garrigus



I DIDN’T SEE IT. I turned off the set when you were headed to the 71st hole and I was headed to dinner with the family. I thought you had it won, Robert Garrigus. I really did. You had just dropped that birdie putt at 16. You were up by three. Yep, I thought you had it. First win and all. Then I found out you didn’t.

You know, Memphis is the home of blues. Fitting, isn’t it? I figure you might have come away with a bad case of them. Real bad. I even started writing a blues song in your honor:

“Down in Memphis, I was standing on the last tee with a three-shot lead. I said down in Memphis I was standing on the last tee with a three-shot lead. That’s when my driver lost its senses and took a left-hand turn on me.”

I couldn’t finish it.

Instead, I have the above song dedication for you: eight minutes and 23 seconds of “So What” by Miles Davis, John Coltrane and company. It’s off that landmark album, Kind of Blue, which probably describes today’s mood. So sit back and listen to Miles and think about that check for $492,800. Hopefully, your head will be right in no time.

−The Armchair Golfer

No comments:

Post a Comment